Welcome to Pets Gazette!
Please ensure you read the Site Rules and the specific rules for each topic before posting. Your cooperation helps keep Pets Gazette a friendly and informative community for all pet lovers!

Feeding Dogs with Liver Issues

A place for all things canine diet and nutrition.
Luna
Avian Expert
Avian Expert

Feeding Dogs with Liver Issues

Post by Luna »

I am often asked what is the best diet for dogs with liver issues. In nearly every case, I would advocate a fresh-food diet, with highly digestible protein sources. The general school of thought is 2g of protein per kg of body weight. Beneficial proteins to feed in liver disease include eggs for the most bioavailable protein and choline content, poultry, and a little fish such as sardines, salmon, and cod.

The conventional concern with many liver issues is protein intake. When protein is broken down in the body, is left behind ammonia. The liver plays a key role in metabolizing ammonia ready for it to be excreted by the kidneys into the urine, but when blood flow bypasses the liver, ammonia builds up in the blood and enters systemic circulation – this is what leads to many neurological issues alongside poor liver function.

Traditionally, dietary management has included protein restriction to reduce ammonia absorption from the colon. Still, more recently it is considered that colonic absorption is only significant in those fed poor-quality diets that contain poorly digestible protein.

In addition, it has been established that those with chronic liver disease may develop muscle wasting from being in a long-term catabolic state – with low protein diets leading to increased muscle protein catabolism.

Fats such as omega-6 and omega-3 in 4:1 ratio are important in liver conditions. Moderate amounts of hemp oil, phytoplankton (offering DHA and EPA), and fish, both whole and in pure oil sources may help to protect the liver and reduce systemic inflammation and inflammation in the liver.

In addition, some fiber helps to speed up colonic transit and prevent constipation. This reduces the amount of toxins absorbed from the colon and circulates into the system for the liver to deal with.

I would also suggest a good liver detox regimen. (See our Detox threads in Med Center.)